Thursday, May 3, 2012

Happiness is a thankful heart

Today is such a beautiful day. I went and sat on our deck out back for a while this morning since the weather is so perfect. The sky is blue, the trees are spring green, and the air smells sweet like summer.

I was in a thoughtful mood, thanks to the beauty and peacefulness. Here's what I was thinking about.  

It is so easy for me to forget how blessed I am. I am not thankful enough for all the wonderful people and opportunities and happiness in my life. The past few days I have been kind of stressed about some silly things, and it hasn't exactly made me feel like a ray of sunshine, to say the least. ;) I realized today that usually when I feel like this it is because I haven't taken the time to count my blessings and appreciate all the good things I have in my life. 


It's amazing what a difference it makes in my life when I am aware of and thankful for my blessings. I can't name them all, but here's the main ones I've been thinking about this morning.

1. My faith. I can't imagine not having the gospel in my life. The knowledge that my Heavenly Father and my Savior live and know me personally means everything to me.

2. My husband. I don't even know where to begin... All I know is that I am the luckiest girl that ever lived, and I'm so lucky blessed to be "stuck" with someone that loves me as much as he does. :)



3. My family. I know that I am who I am because of my family, especially my parents, and I will always be so thankful to them for putting up with their feisty, stubborn, redheaded daughter. :) And I really lucked out when it came to my in-laws, that's for sure! They are awesome. :)

I was looking up some stuff about gratitude on www.lds.org and found this
poem that President Eyring shared in this talk. I loved it so I had to add it to this post. 

Some murmur when the sky is clear
And wholly bright to view,
If one small speck of dark appear
In their great heaven of blue.
And some with thankful love are filled,
If but one streak of light,
One ray of God's good mercy, gild
The darkness of their night.
-Richard Chenevix Trench

Have a happy day, and don't forget to be thankful. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment