Monday, June 11, 2012

Trek

I spent last week on a handcart trek with the youth in our stake. We spent 5 days out in the backwoods of AZ dressed up in pioneer clothing, and to get to our main camp we had to drag heavy, awkward handcarts made of wood and metal 20-something miles over the course of 2 days.

If you haven't heard of a trek before, it is an opportunity to experience, in some small way, the challenges the Mormon pioneers endured as they traveled 1,300 miles to the Salt Lake Valley to escape persecution and have the freedom to practice their religion. Some came in wagons, and some came in handcarts that looked something like this:


To make it as authentic as possible, we all wore pioneer clothing and left our cell phones, iPods, and other luxuries at home. We were put into 8 families with a Ma and Pa (I was an adult sister and had 8 younger siblings), given a handcart that we loaded with our water, food, and other supplies, and then trekked 20-something miles over the course of 2 days before arriving at our main camp where we stayed for the remainder of the week.

I'm so glad I was able to attend. I wasn't asked to until the week before the trek, so I wasn't expecting to go and was pleasantly surprised when my bishop asked me if I was willing. I definitely missed Dallin though, who had to work, and was very happy to see him when he came up to spend the last night with us. He still slept in the same tent with me even though I'd been in the dirt for days, so I guess he really must love me! ;)

This is what I looked like when I got home. I look a little dirty, but this picture doesn't even come close to
doing it justice! My arms alone were a few shades lighter after I showered.. haha. So much for that tan!
Here's just a few thoughts about what I experienced and learned during the week:

  • I think all of us were challenged in some way by this trek, and it was definitely difficult, but it amazes me to think that we only got a very small taste of what the pioneers sacrificed and endured. I'm so thankful for their courage and that I have the gospel in my life today because of them. 
  • There were some times when I really struggled, and if giving up was an option I'm sure I would have jumped on that. One of the reasons I like doing things like this (and the crazy adventures Dallin and I go on) is that it helps me to see what I am capable of when I keep going even when it is hard. I especially loved seeing my "family" as they pushed through some of the challenges, especially when the men were enlisted in the Mormon Battalion and the women had to pull our cart up a steep, long, rocky hill without the help of the men. It was really difficult, but we did it and when we were discussing it later in our trek family I was very impressed with how it had impacted my siblings as well, especially the ones who struggled the most. Oh, the things you can learn when you are put to the test! :)
  • There's nothing like dragging a handcart 12+ miles (that's how much we did the first day) until 11:00pm that makes you appreciate finally crawling into your sleeping bag. I've never slept so soundly! 
  • It's amazing to see how close each "family" became after just the first day. There was just something about working and being challenged together in pursuit of a common goal that brought all of us together. 
  • We were only apart for a few days, but it felt oh so good to give my husband a big hug and kiss when he came to our camp Friday night. I think I just might like him a little bit. ;)
  • After being in the dirt for 5 days, it felt like heaven to finally get to shower! :) 

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! Glad to have you in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! :] I loved going on the trek when I was in high school and I really hope I can go again someday!

    ReplyDelete