Thursday, April 18, 2013

A pearl beyond price

Today I re-watched this talk by Elder L. Whitney Clayton from General Conference and it got me thinking (again) about happiness and success in marriage. 

I've often wondered what happens to two people who seem(ed) so in love that causes them to lose that spark or even get divorced. Now that I am married, I find myself pondering more often about what the difference is between a happy marriage and an unhappy marriage. I never want us to lose that spark. We have made covenants to be faithful to each other for time and eternity, and that is really, really long time to spend with someone you don't adore, don't you think? I'm really thankful to be a member of the LDS church and to have grown up in a good family. Both of these things have helped me learn from a young age how to have a good marriage.

While there are many factors that can determine success of marriage, I believe the most important one is the mutual willingness to put your marriage and your spouse first. This means remembering that your marriage is special. It is precious. It should never be put on the back burner, not for any reason. It should always be your number one priority. 

Elder Clayton articulates my thoughts on this subject much better. Here's a quote from the talk I mentioned earlier:
"I have observed that in the happiest marriages both the husband and wife consider their relationship to be a pearl beyond price, a treasure of infinite worth. They both leave their fathers and mothers and set out together to build a marriage that will prosper for eternity. They understand that they walk a divinely ordained path. They know that no other relationship of any kind can bring as much joy, generate as much good, or produce as much personal refinement. Watch and learn: the best marriage partners regard their marriages as priceless." 
Those are wise words, and I know they are true. Never take your marriage or spouse for granted. Just as Elder Clayton said in his talk (which might be the most shared quote from conference!), marriage truly is a gift from God. Treat it like one.

MarriageGift
(via)

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was interesting that he said, in the happiest marriage, they consider their marriage the pearl without price. He didn't say, both spouses had to be perfect, that the marriage had to be perfect. It was the attitude that they both had, it was their priority.

    ReplyDelete