Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Happy list

I've been having a very difficult week so far. I prefer not to get too personal on my blog since it is public, but I'm dealing with some stressful things that have been testing my patience and ability to stay calm, peaceful, and unafraid.

A couple years ago I started writing little "happy lists" whenever I feel upset, stressed, or frustrated. It helps me to think of all the positive, cheery things in my life and usually it is easier for me to chill out. Here's the one I posted this evening on facebook:

"Happy list of the day: Target, love notes, Burt's Bees lip balm, 
Olive Garden, comfy sweaters, prayer, scriptures, and happy music."

It made me feel a little better. If you were to ask me, "On a scale of 1 to watching Bambi as a child, how stressed are you?" I would probably say I went from a 9 to a 7.5, with 2-3 being average (I'm kind of an anxious person naturally. Also, don't judge me for my former fear of the movie Bambi. :P). 

Although my happy list did help, what really did the trick tonight was reading the Book of Mormon and listening to this conference talk about personal peace. There is great power in the scriptures, my friends. Great power. When I started reading, my heart felt like it had been wrapped in a toasty warm electric blanket and given a bowl of homemade chicken soup. 

There are a lot of things I am thankful to have in my life, but the scriptures and the ability to pray to my Father in Heaven are at the top of that list. What a blessing it is to be able to find peace through scriptures and prayer and the Spirit, no matter what stressful situations we may find ourselves in or what sorrows and challenges we face! So, my dear readers, if you are having a rough day too, just remember that peace can be found, God is aware of you, and everything will be okay in the end. I know that for a fact. 


No comments:

Post a Comment