Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fairy tale castle, creepy basilica, and temple (Spain part 3)

(Click here for part one, part two)

I have been some really beautiful places in my life. I've done a bit of travelling in my life and spend a lot of my time outside exploring and hiking. This means that it's a big deal when I say that Segovia (our next stop after Merida) is in the top 3 most beautiful places I've been. I felt like I was walking around inside a painting of a fairy tale. It was magic, I tell you... magic!


My favorite picture of us!


Looking up at the castle from the river.


First order of business was to check out the inside of the castle.





Tiny suit of armor!


There were some amazing views from the castle tower of the town (with the cathedral in the center) and some snow-capped mountains in the distance.



Working off all the delicious food on the stairs to the tower! 



Here is a closer view of the cathedral we could see from the tower.


Inside was beautiful, and very different from the cathedrals I saw in Russia.




Next stop: the incredible, huge Roman aqueduct! It's almost in perfect condition, even after all these years, and it is truly a sight to see.


See little Dallin way down at the base?


We couldn't stay long because we had one more place to stop before headed back to Madrid, so off we hurried to our car by way of the beautiful path/stairs. These were much more fun going down than coming up.


A couple more pictures of the grandeur, because it was irresistable...



...and then we were off to our next stop, Valle de los Caidos, or Valley of the Fallen. Now, this is kind of a controversial place. It was built by Franco, who was kind of a bad dude. And when I say he built it I mean he forced his enslaved opposing political leaders to build it. I don't know the whole story thanks to my limited knowledge of Spanish history, but all I know is that this place gave me the willies. Although majestic and amazing, is was very creepy.

There is a huge basilica carved inside, but no pictures were allowed. Look it up if you'd like!


I wish you could tell just how massive that cross is. 


We tried to walk up to the cross, but the trail was closed, so we got as close as we could and then walked around the big monastery a bit before heading out.

We drove through El Escorial where there is a huge, beautiful monastery. I didn't get a picture of it, and we didn't have time to find parking and see it, but it was beautiful! 

After El Escorial, we managed to successfully make our way back to the airport to return the car, which was both stressful and miraculous. The next morning we woke up bright and early to attend the beautiful Madrid temple.


We were able to do both sealings and initiatory, and it was wonderful! Oh, it is beautiful in there. The Celestial Room is so bright and gorgeous, and I just loved being there. Maybe one day we can go on a mission here!



P.S. I got to wear the Shabby Apple dress I got with the gift card I won from the lovely Katie (from Katilda, which is one of my very favorite blogs to read) to the temple! The bright red felt very fitting for Spain. :)



Lunch of a Spanish tortilla, bread, and European orange Fanta. Also known as what I wish I could eat all day errrday. If you haven't had real Fanta (not the crap from the US) or a Spanish tortilla, then you are missing out, folks. Good stuff right there. And of course it tastes even better when enjoyed at a cute cafe with outdoor seating.


We spent the evening exploring Retiro Park.



The Crystal Palace



Pretty leaves in the park. Aren't these cool?


A view of Puerta de Alcala on the walk home.


The next and final edition of our last few days, which included a crazy bullfight, museums, my birthday, and a really beautiful, unique cathedral, will be coming soon! :) Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment