Friday, May 9, 2014

Real Life

Oh, the glamour of motherhood.

I'm typing this while frantically rocking Eli's bouncer with my foot in hopes that he will finally (FINALLY) take a nap longer than five minutes this morning. I don't think he appreciates it very much since he's giving me an exceedingly dirty look. Wait, let me get a picture of it...


Oh yeah. Check out that face. Somebody is just oozing sunshine and butterflies this morning, aren't they?

I know he must be exhausted. The dear child woke up more than a few times last night, probably to make up for sleeping so well this week. And yet he insists on fighting tooth gum and nail to stay awake. Silly, silly boy.

It's mornings like this when I'm torn between two strong emotions. On one hand, I think to myself, "There are so many things I would rather be doing right now than have a grumpy baby kicking me with his brace while he cries in my ear."

Yet, on the other hand, I can't help but know that there is nothing I could do that is more important than to comfort the sweet little babe I've been given. And when I hear his tiny sigh of relief once I successfully help him calm down, I know that this job, difficult as it might be, is more fulfilling and sweet than anything else in the world.

And even though I haven't been able to shower in longer than I'd care to admit, and my half-eaten bowl of cereal I was never able to finish is almost certainly sludge by now, and I'll have to re-wash the load of laundry I realized I never did dry last night (dang it!), and I'm beginning to feel like I haven't slept in years, I'm so thankful to be this tiny little man's mama. He is worth it, 100%, and I love him more than I can explain.

And look! He even slept long enough for me to write this.


If he stays asleep for a few minutes, maybe I'll go do something crazy like, I don't know... take a shower or something. I know, I know. What can I say? I'm a wild child.

Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Yep. Sounds about exactly like every single day for the last almost three years. Except I finally figured out how to get a shower: TV, snacks, and letting them cry. You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete