Saturday, July 12, 2014

Not a post about baby weight

In case you didn't know, I had a baby. I know I never ever EVER post a single picture of him so I thought I'd better refresh your memory (I kid, I kid!).

Having a baby is kind of a major, complicated process that really does a number on your body. I always knew that was true, but usually when people talk about that they are talking about weight gain. And while weight gain is a big part of pregnancy, there's a lot more to it than that. Sands shift. Muscles vanish into thin air. Skin, hair, eyes... they all change. After having Eli, I was left with a body that no longer felt like my own, and that took some getting used to. I want to write about postpartum body image some other day though. Today I want to write about what I've been doing to make some better habits so I won't feel so puny, weak, and squishy any longer.

Step one: Motivation

I'm not one of those girls that is super motivated to eat healthily and exercise. If you are one of those people, I admire you more than you will ever know. I enjoy being active, but "working out"? No thanks. I like fun exercise. I like playing ultimate frisbee, canyoneering, bike riding, swimming, all that good stuff, but I'm not going to just go run three miles or sit at some weight machine in a gym that smells like nasty. Another problem I have it how much I  like ice cream. And cookies. And good chocolate. Cutting back on treats and getting more exercise are both things that I struggle with making a priority.

Enter a wonderful thing my sister-in-law introduced me to called the Transformation Tribe.

I know, the name makes it sound a little weird, but it has helped me make good habits so I'll call it whatever you want me to. Basically, a lady my sister-in-law knows started a group challenge on facebook in which you pay ten dollars to participate in a health and fitness program. You get points for doing certain things every day like exercising, drinking water, eating fruits and veggies, and reaching goals you set for yourself. For example, one of my goals is flossing since I don't do it often enough, and another is reading my scriptures. You can get up to 25 points a day, plus 5 bonus points for completing a weekly challenge (one week was going without sugar for three days). Whoever has the most points when it ends (it's two months long and ends in 2.5 weeks) gets all the money in the pot, which I think is $120 or so, if I counted the participants right.

This might be the first thing I've found that has really helped me get motivated. Honestly, I think the most helpful thing for me is the tracker we fill out every day. I like lists and being able to quantify progress, so being able to check off each liter of water I drink or ten minutes of exercise I complete is highly rewarding for me. Even when it is over I think I will keep using the tracker to help myself keep the good habits I've made.

(P.S. If anyone would be interested in doing this, I would be happy to set one up! Let me know!)

Step 2: Exercise

I recently found this app and I love it a LOT. I like that I can do it in my own home, plus it has so many different classes in varying degrees of difficulty with different focuses like strength, flexibility, or relaxation. You can also get detailed instructions for each pose and it lets you know which you might want to avoid if you are pregnant. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this app. It is my favorite! This is the first yoga program I've found that I like. This makes it so much easier to get some exercise in every day.

Dallin and I have also been walking every evening, and sometimes I'll run on our treadmill, but not often 'cause I'm not really much of a runner... at all. I'm working on it though! Who knows, maybe I'll become one after all.

In addition, I try to do squats, lunges, burpees, crunches, and the like every day. I don't do as much as I should, but a little is better than nothing and I'm improving. For someone that never really "worked out" consistently, each squat is a victory for me!

Step 3: Better eating

I've been much better about getting lots of fruits and veggies in daily, partially because of the "Transformation Tribe" since you get one point for each serving, up to 5 points per day. I've also been consistently making healthy food such as whole wheat bread, granola, smoothies, yogurt, etc. I make sure to have healthy snacks that are easy to grab before I nurse Eli, which helps me resist junk food, and I got a nice big water bottle that I keep nearby all the time. Basically, my goals are more water, veggies, whole grains, and lean meat, and less processed or junky foods. I haven't eliminated Oreos or ice cream, but I think I've found a good balance. I'm a believer in treats in moderation, especially since making good food is something Dallin and I love to do together.

All these things have really helped me feel a lot better physically, mentally, and even spiritually. It's a really nice change to be stronger and more energetic. It feels good to feel good.


I just can't wait to do this ^^^ again. I know it won't be as frequent as it was pre-baby, but I hope to be able to do a canyon every now and then with Dallin (you know, without needing to be rescued). I had no idea just how much I would miss it!

1 comment: